Schedule: Full time administrator - Effective July 1st, 2023 or earlier TBA
Compensation: $100,000 - $115,000 depending on qualifications and experience
Reports to: Division Heads
Collaborates with: Division Heads, Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Coach, Athletic Director, Co-Coordinators of Student Life, faculty
All faculty and staff at Almaden Country Day School demonstrate high personal and professional standards, communication abilities, and an eagerness to grow.
If you are an exceptional and caring educator, passionate about children, and prepared to work with outstanding young people and colleagues, please contact us.
Almaden Country Day School seeks a dynamic, engaging, flexible and energetic individual to become its Dean of Students. This individual needs to be a student-centered leader with interpersonal savvy and the organizational skills to manage a multi-tiered workflow, while supporting the ACDS mission of “discovering the gifts in every child.”
The Dean oversees the school's SEL program (Positive Discipline) and coordinates learning support at the school, working closely with teaching colleagues and Division Heads. The Dean also oversees aspects of the student experience at ACDS in collaboration with the Athletic Director and the Co-Coordinators of Student Life.
The Dean is part of the educational leadership and administrative teams at ACDS, reporting directly to the Division Heads, in a leadership culture that is motivated, upbeat, collaborative, solution-oriented, hardworking and fun-loving.
If this sounds like you, read on!
- In collaboration with the Division Heads, teachers, and our Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) Coach, support implementation of Positive Discipline across the school.
- Use behavior interventions and conflict resolution to help with the social-emotional development of students across the elementary and middle school divisions of the school.
- Liaise with teachers, students, and families, as needed, to support students on their journey; maintain records of their progress.
Learning Support Coordination
- Observe classes and work with teachers to identify students requiring additional learning support as well as those students who need greater challenge.
- Facilitate meetings with families, students (when appropriate), teachers, and outside learning specialists (when possible) to coordinate learning support for students and organize Student Success Team (SST) meetings when needed.
- Maintain and share the learning support list with Division Heads and other relevant staff to ensure the list is accurate.
- Help schedule meetings to assist teachers in serving their students throughout the school year.
- Manage the duty schedule for teachers and admin as well as supervise duties.
- Attend school games as acting administrator and oversee the work of the school’s Athletic Director supporting the athletics program and the ACDS Booster Club.
- Supervise the Coordinator of Student Life - Activities in managing clubs and activities, including the school’s Apple Orchard and MASH programs.
- Work with the Coordinator of Student Life - Events to organize student events throughout the year, including attending events in a support capacity.
- Liaise with teachers and outside groups to set up schedules for cross-division school events like Puberty & Sex Education, Measure of Annual Progress (MAP) testing, etc.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Specific Abilities Sought:
- Advanced class management skills aligned with the philosophy of Positive Discipline
- Familiarity with a range of academic and social-emotional student learning needs
- Experience building relationships with colleagues in order to better support them as a coach and thought partner
- Aptitude for facilitating meetings between parents, teachers, learning specialists, and students
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage and plan activities and events
- 3 or more years’ teaching experience at the PK-8 level
- Child-centered, developmental, progressive instructional orientation
- Experience in an educational setting similar to ACDS: student-centered, developmental philosophy, PK-8, range of student abilities
- Proficiency and comfort with relevant educational technology
- High degree of organizational proficiency at maintaining data collection systems
- Experience with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work
- Highly collaborative leadership style
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skill, and propensity for regular and open communications
- Willingness and commitment to being available for meetings and other school needs after school hours to support students and families
Preferred Qualifications and Qualities:
- Prior experience as a school administrator
- Prior experience in instructional coaching, curriculum development, and/or developing, implementing, organizing, and leading school initiatives
- Prior experience working to support student activities and events
…All in an environment characterized by collaboration, camaraderie, enthusiasm and encouragement, focused on what’s best for the children we serve. ACDS is a fantastic place to work!
If you meet the candidate profile above, please send a letter of interest and résumé to:
Interviews begin immediately and this position remains open until filled