Effective August 2022
Enjoy this short video to see our team and program in action:
Almaden Country Day School (ACDS) is seeking a full-time elementary teacher for The Learning Center at ACDS. The Learning Center (TLC) is a program within our school for bright children with language-based learning differences. Classes are taught in a ratio of 4:1 with a master teacher. If you want to help change children’s lives and be part of a collaborative, cohesive team, please reach out.
The specialized curriculum in TLC includes language arts, math, social studies, and social-emotional learning, all taught in a multisensory way. We meet the needs of our students with dyslexia, dysgraphia, and dyscalculia.
Essential to success in TLC is patience, precision in instruction, and an understanding and appreciation of children’s developmental stages. Teachers must also deliberately focus on collaboration, teamwork, and building relationships with students, parents, and colleagues. We are looking for compassionate teachers who are open to learning.
ACDS will cover the costs of training in the Orton-Gillingham Approach of instruction. Teachers are expected to complete all training with fidelity.
- Demonstrated success in teaching children in an elementary or middle school setting; 5 years minimum
- Evidence of ongoing professional development and desire to grow as an educator
- Commitment to teaching 21st Century Skills, including teamwork, creativity, problem solving, curiosity, ethics, and resilience
- Demonstrated commitment to a collaborative work style
- Understand and embrace the unique concerns of our parents
- Personal characteristics: passion for working with children, optimism, flexibility, patience, joyfulness
- Demonstrated success in working with children with language-based learning differences
- Experience with multisensory math instruction
- Experience using the Orton-Gillingham Approach
- Aptitude in promoting student inquiry and collaboration
- Experience in DEI work
Overview of TLC at Almaden Country Day School:
Almaden Country Day School is an independent, pre-K through 8th grade school located in the Almaden Valley of San Jose. The school's mission is to "discover the gifts in every child." ACDS promotes the belief that children learn best in a high-opportunity, low-stress environment, and when instruction is age-appropriate, highly individualized, and joyful.
Like all ACDS students, TLC students have a homeroom teacher for language arts, math, social studies, and social-emotional learning. Elementary students join their grade-level peers for science, music, art, PE, and drama; in Middle School, students are integrated for science, PE, and nearly 50 electives. They participate in after-school sports, clubs, and overnight field trips. Additional work in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) contributes to the student and faculty experience. We see TLC as a transitional program, expecting students to move to general education when they are ready.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Cecilia Robb, Director of The Learning Center
Almaden Country Day School
6835 Trinidad Drive
San Jose, CA 95120