San Jose Private Elementary School
At Almaden Country Day School, we focus on each child as an individual who is accepted and valued. We offer continuity and consistency across a curriculum designed to develop and celebrate the whole child; from our early childhood Preschool classes through our fifth grade.
Diverse Instructional Programs & Enrichment Classes
In addition to language arts, mathematics, and social studies, the instructional program for all elementary (K-5) students includes art, science, physical education, music and drama, and making/design in our Imaginarium. Enrichment classes are taught by specialist teachers.
- Hands-on science taught by specialist teachers begins in Kindergarten.
- Technology is assimilated into daily coursework in all subjects using classroom resources including iPads, MacBooks, and ActivBoard interactive electronic whiteboards. Children also practice coding in enrichment subjects including science. All elementary sudents engage in project-based learning using a variety of technologies in our popular Imaginarium makerspace. Our students come to view technology as integral to the learning process.
- Our systematic reading instruction program balances phonics and authentic literature with explicit skills, comprehension strategies, and a broad range of writing and language skills.
- ACDS features the award-winning Bridges in Mathematics program as the foundation for teaching elementary math. Children studying mathematics at all levels are actively involved in thinking skills, problem-solving strategies, projects and real-life applications that enable them to develop a thorough understanding of mathematical concepts critical to success in future coursework.
- All students participate in an annual full-length musical theater production starting in first grade.
- P.E., art, and library round our the elementary enrichment program from grades 1-5.
- Students begin instruction in French language and culture starting in second grade.