Around this time, students really begin to see and respect different points-of-view, understand cause and effect, show independence, and can view matters from a big-picture standpoint. Our robust curriculum is developmentally appropriate for this age and provides outlets for expression including project-based learning.
Our fourth grade homeroom teachers provide instruction in Language Arts, Math, and Social Studies.
- Literary appreciation
- Creative writing
- Develop strategies in sequencing
- Note taking
- Predicting, clarifying, linking unit concepts to stories and comprehension
- Spelling mastery, building vocabulary
- Sentence structure, parts of speech
- Paragraph writing
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication, division
- Place value and rounding
- Algebra readiness
- Geometry: Lines, angles, perimeter and area
- Multi-digit multiplication and division of large numbers
- Fractions and decimal
- Word problems
- History of California to statehood
- California Indians
- California missions
- California regions and landforms
- Gold Rush
- Maps, globes and other geographic tools
Drama students learn the fundamentals of performance during 5 weeks of rehearsing a full-length musical theater performance. Each student gains self-confidence by actively performing on the stage. The students' efforts culminate in a final production with two live performances for students and parents.
- Learn memorization, characterization
- Develop acting and performance skills including music and singing, timing and choreography
- Learn costuming, set design, stage balance and stage directions
Drama teacher, 5 week unit
Music at ACDS incorporates tonal instruments, dance, and voice in the Orff Program.
- Basic music theory as a foundation for reading music
- Integrate movement and dance while developing their voices and discovering the joy of singing
- Learn the songs of our country and other cultures
- Experience the beauty of great works of music and learn about the composers who wrote them
Music teacher, 1 class per week
Students explore their unique creative abilities while they experience and develop artistic skills using a variety of media and subjects; student artwork is displayed in ASSETS, our school-wide talent show, and in a variety of local art exhibitions.
Art teacher, 2 classes per week
- Emphasis on oral conversation
- Creative writing using expanded vocabulary and grammar
- Conjugation with present tense verbs
- French geography & industry; regions and cities
- Integrate with Language Arts (poetry) and Science
- Class performance at ASSETS school-wide talent show
French teacher, 3 classes per week
- Human Body
- Robotics with Lego WeDo*
- Engineering Design Fair
- Stories in the stone
- Stick in the mud*
- All elementary science units contain STEM elements and activities; however, those with asterisks have a particularly strong STEM focus.
Elementary science teacher, 4 classes per week
Students visit our fully-equipped computer lab to begin planned curricular projects that they continue in the classroom using iPads and laptops. Besides using the devices for a variety of independent work, students use the devices for small group work and collaboration. Students continue to expand on previously developed skills in coding to create more sophisticated programs across the curriculum.
Technology teacher, with lab visits as scheduled
Fourth grade students visit the library once a week. Our full-time librarian reads stories to the class, and students are encouraged to check out books to bring home. Fourth graders do various research-based projects and use the library to find books to support their project.
Librarian, 1 class per week
Regular weekly P.E. instruction builds fitness, coordination and skill progression, while increasing students' readiness to learn in all subjects.
P.E. teacher, 3 classes per week
|7:15-7:50||Complimentary Extended Care before school|
|Language Arts||Language Arts||Science
|Language Arts||Fine Arts
|Language Arts||Math||Math||Language Arts||Fine Art
|Social Studies||Social Studies|
|Language Arts||Number Corner||Number Corner
|Language Arts||Social Studies|
|2:55-3:10||Dismissal (or Extended Care until 5:30 p.m. - registration required)|
All sample schedules are subject to change.