Learning. Laughter. Discovery. Kindergarten at ACDS encompasses the creative play of childhood and learning opportunities designed to enrich the whole child.
The ACDS Kindergarten program features small class sizes enabling our dedicated teachers to provide individualized attention. Kindergarten at ACDS features a wide range of activities that engage the spectrum of developmental skills critical to later academic success: pre-academic practice, self-care, focus and self-control, social interaction, sensory-motor progression — and fun!
Our teachers create a joyful, safe learning environment that includes circle time, instructional centers and self-directed tasks. We also welcome guest speakers throughout the year to share their professional expertise, cultural knowledge, and other topics of interest to the children.
- Monday-Friday 8am - 2pm with an optional hour of supervised, child-directed play from 2pm - 3pm.
- Optional extended care through Apple Tree is available from 3pm - 6pm
- Before-school care is complimentary for students in Kindergarten to 8th grade
- 12:1 student to teacher ratio
Reading and Writing Skills
- Phonemic awareness
- Print awareness
- Letter formation
- Sound and letter recognition
- Letter and sound sequencing
- Listening skills
- Letter and sound blending
- Comprehension skills
- Building vocabulary
- Thematic units following the calendar
- Native Americans
- Holiday traditions and cultures
- Mail system
- Maps and globes
- Calendar skills
- Numeral printing
- Geometric shapes
- Rote, skip and backward counting
- Place value
- Time and money
- Addition and subtraction
- Numerical sequence, patterning, comparing numbers, classifying and sorting by numbers
- Estimation, number operations, number sense
- Mathematical reasoning and problem solving
Discovery and observation through:
- Garden activities, pumpkins and apples
- Solar system
- Arctic, Antarctica and penguins
- Rainforest and ecology
- Spiders and bats
- Plant growth
- The five senses
- Weather and the seasons*
- Trees throughout the year
- Animal defenses and adaptations*
- Sun and shadows
- Water cycle
- Earth care
- Engineering projects*
Regular weekly P.E. instruction builds fitness, coordination and skill progression, while increasing students' readiness to learn in all subjects.
- Exposure to the Orff music program, which combines movement, instruments, speech and song
- Developmental music; dramatic play
- Exposure to folk, classical, patriotic music and children's favorites
- Identifying and creating patterns in music
Kindergarten students visit the school library and spend time with our full-time Librarian who introduces the students to new authors and allows children to check out books to take home.
Students learn how to use technology as a learning tool. They also learn how to use applications to review, reflect on, and share learning through the use of iPads in small groups.
Each Kindergarten student is paired with a "Big Buddy" from grades 5-8. Throughout the year, Big Buddies meet to work, play and learn together in a variety of activities. Big Buddies care for their Little Buddies, and Little Buddies look up to their older friends, forging affectionate connections and lasting memories. The beloved Big Buddy Program is a highlight of the ACDS experience for younger and older children alike.