Shadowing at ACDS
Shadowing at ACDS is an essential part of our application process. The visit gives your child a valuable chance to experience our school by attending classes, interacting with our teachers, and spending time with fellow students. Each shadow student is warmly welcomed by a dedicated "shadow buddy or buddies" who will guide the student through the day's classes. Shadow students are included in all class activities.
Please note: shadow visits are only available for scheduling after your application has been submitted.
Student Shadow Schedule
Students Entering First Through Seventh Grade
- Two consecutive days in the student's current grade.
- School day is from 8 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
- On your child’s first shadow day, bring your student to the front office at 8 a.m.
- On the second shadow day, your student may go directly to their homeroom class.
- Sixth grade applicants will shadow in fifth grade and spend two class periods in middle school, usually on the second shadow day.
- Pick-up for Kindergarten shadow students is at 2 p.m. on the first day and at 3 p.m. on the second day outside the white picket fence.
- Pick up for shadow students in first through fifth grades is on the blacktop area outside the classroom door on the inside of the campus.
- Pick up for shadow students in sixth or seventh grade is located in front of the ACDS office.
Your child should wear their typical school clothes and bring a snack and a lunch. You may also pre-order and purchase a hot lunch ($7.00 - $8.50) for the day. Many students also bring a backpack with some paper and pencils, but all additional materials will be provided. Your child will have the same class assignments as the other students.
The purpose of the shadow is for the school to determine where your child is within the ACDS curriculum and whether they are a fit for the school, and for your child to determine if ACDS is the right place for them. The class work that your child completes will be used to determine if the child is at the appropriate level for our academic program. No standardized tests are administered as part of our application process. All assessments are completed in class during the shadow days.