Back to School - 2022/2023
Welcome (back) ACDS Families! We are excited to welcome you and your children back to school!
Preparations for the upcoming school year are in full swing. Please find below various checklists for preparing your student for the upcoming school year.
The below lists and procedures are subject to change.
The Veracross Parent Portal opened on August 25 for all families. Class schedules will be visible before school starts. New families will receive their log-in information for Veracross on the same day. Please be on the lookout for a message from your Division Head with additional information as well.
Update your Profile
- Family Information: Please make sure your cell phone is current and in the right format 000-000-0000. This will ensure you receive emergency texts or communications sent via SMS.
- Household Contacts: Please ensure all family members that reside with you are added to your Household Contacts.
- Pick-Up Authorization: You should have at least one other person besides yourself authorized to pick up your child.
- Medical Information: Update current medical insurance and medical profiles for your children.
- Directory Preferences: You can choose how much information is shown in the directory.
Immunization & Health Records
The following records and forms were due on August 15. If you have not done so already, please upload to School Admin before immediately:
- All students: Child's Updated Immunization Records
- Students entering Pre-K and Kindergarten only: Identification & Emergency Information Forms
- Students entering 1st Grade only: Health Examination for School Entry
- Students entering 7th Grade: Tdap Booster Immunization is required. Please upload a copy of your updated child's immunization record to School Admin showing this booster, the month, date, and year administered.
If you have any questions, please contact Angela Henze, Registrar.
The intent of our school uniform policy is to contribute to an environment that encourages learning without distractions, provides a structure that respects individualism, and promotes a sense of community and togetherness.
Uniforms can be purchased at a variety of retailers including the Land's End School Outfitters website. We also welcome parents to visit the ACDS Uniform Exchange on campus which is full of donated, gently worn uniforms that are free for parents to take as needed. Please read more about uniform guidelines and how to purchase below.
There are updates to the 2022-23 school dress code policy. Please review the guidelines before the start of school.
Hot Lunch Program
ACDS is pleased to offer a hot lunch program through The Pasta Market. Learn more about the program and how to order below.
Classrooms open at 7:50 am for all grades.
Complimentary before-school care is offered for Kindergarten to 8th Grade students.
Pre-K 1/2 Day: 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Pre-K Full Day: 8 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Kindergarten: 8 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (2 to 3:00 p.m. is optional supervised, child-directed play)
1st - 8th Grade: 8 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
After-School Care is offered for Pre-K to 8th Grade students for a fee.
We offer complimentary before-school care for students in Kindergarten to 8th Grade, and after-school care for Pre-K to 8th Grade for a fee. Registration for before-school care is not required, but we ask all parents to follow the drop-off procedures using the Brightwheel app. Registration for after-school care will be sent out in early August.
Follow the steps on our Stay Connected page to ensure you don't miss out on any important ACDS news and information. Please note: the link below is on our private Parent's Corner section. Once you receive your Veracross login, you will be able to access the page.
We are proud to offer an after-school sports program for students in Grades 5 - 8 and Cougar Sports Clinics for students in Grades 1 - 6. Our Athletics Director will send out information on how to sign-up for the sports teams and clinics.
We have a battery of COVID-19 precautions in place that have proven incredibly effective in completely curtailing transmission of the virus on campus to date: masks indoors and out, increased ventilation, the ActivePure disinfection system (destroys airborne SARS CoV-2 in 3 minutes and reduces 99.9% of the virus in all classrooms, offices, and bathrooms on campus), weekly testing, regular handwashing, dedicated outdoor learning spaces, and more.
Please review more detail on these measures using the below link. As we continue to navigate shifts in the pandemic threat, we will adjust these measures accordingly.
Order Cougar Spirit Shirt
- Pre-K - 5th Grade: No need to order. Spirit tees will be handed out by homeroom teachers to students in Pre-Kindergarten to 5th grade.
- 6th - 8th Grade students: Please complete your child's spirit shirt size order form by August 22 at the latest; these shirts are worn as a class to promote class unity and school spirit. If you do not select a t-shirt size for your child by September 1st, a size will be selected by the staff.
Reading is one of the best ways to prevent the "summer slide." In the context of relaxation and summer adventures, a moderate amount of summer reading is important for children to maintain their literacy skills. For students entering Grades 5 - 8, there is required reading to be completed before the start of school. Below is a link to our required (Grades 5 - 8 only) and recommended reading lists compiled by our librarian and classroom teachers.
Class Supply Lists (by grade)
ACDS will provide the majority of classroom supplies. In addition, each grade has a list of supplies that need to be provided including a medication and/or comfort kit which will be kept on campus. Like the shortened supply lists, most of the emergency supplies will be provided by ACDS. Families must provide any required medication in case of emergency. For Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten students, families may also choose to provide an item that will comfort the child.
|Class Supply Lists (by grade) and Medication Kits|
|First Grade||Sixth Grade|
|Second Grade||Seventh Grade|
|Third Grade||Eighth Grade|
|The Learning Center (TLC)|
Drop-off and Pick-up
For the safety of our students, staff and community, we ask all parents to follow our drop-off and pick-up procedures.
For New Families Only
- August 23 - Pre-K - 5th Grade New Family Event, Pre-K play yard and Rainbow Playground at ACDS, 3 - 4:30 p.m.
- August 30 - New Family Middle School Ice Cream Social, Middle School Quad at ACDS, 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- September 7 - New Family Orientation in Auditorium (for new parents), 8:40 - 9:30 a.m. (directly after Welcome Back Parents Social)
For Returning & New Families
- August 31 - TLC Pool Party at Pinehurst, 5 - 7:30 p.m.
- Back to School Events (see details below)
- September 6 - Class Gatherings for all students (see details below)
- September 7 - First Day of School
- September 7 - Welcome Back Parents Social in Ravel Courtyard (for all parents), 8:10 - 8:40 a.m.; (New Families stay for orientation at Fisher Event Center from 8:40 - 9:30 a.m.)
- September 16 - Food Truck Friday (Community Event), 5:00 - 8:30 p.m.
To see more events we typically hold throughout the year, click here.
Clubs & Activities
Our campus is host to a variety of after-school activities that extend the interests and talents of our students. Click here to view a sample of our activities. Our Director of Student Life Activities will send out information to all families about the clubs & activities available throughout the year and how to sign-up.
As a member of the parent community, every parent is encouraged to attend events on campus and to volunteer to help support these events throughout the school year. Volunteer opportunities are available exclusively online on iVolunteer. iVolunteer opens in early September.
Back to School Events For New Families only
Pre-K - 5th Grade New Family Event
When: August 23, 2022, 3 – 4:30 p.m.
Who: New Pre-K to 5th Grade families
Where: Pre-Kindergarten play yard and Rainbow Playground
Middle School New Family Event
When: August 30, 2022, 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Who: New Middle School families
Where: Middle School Quad
New Family Orientation
When: September 7, 2022, 8:40 - 9:30 a.m. (after Welcome Back Parents Social)
Who: Parents of new students
Where: Fisher Event Center Auditorium
All new parents are strongly urged to attend as we will cover a lot of vital information about our school, philosophy, programs and opportunities.
Back to School Events For All New and Returning Families
TLC Pool Party
When: August 31, 2022, 5 – 7:30 a.m.
Who: All TLC families
Where: Pinehurst Cabana Club, 886 Lewiston, San Jose
Pre-K Lemonade Party
When: September 6, 2022, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. (each family will receive their time slot from their teachers)
Who: All Pre-Kindergarten families
Where: Pre-Kindergarten Classrooms and Play Yard
More details to come from the Pre-Kindergarten teachers in late August.
Kindergarten Lemonade Party
When: September 6, 2022, 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Who: All Kindergarten families
Where: Kindergarten Quad
More details to come from the Kindergarten teachers in late August.
Grade 1 - 5 Park Meet-n-Greet
When: September 6, 2022 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Who: All Grade 1-5 families
Where: Greystone Park
Meet your teacher and visit with classmates at the park. Parents must accompany their children. Please note there is no school on this day.
Middle School Ice Cream Social
When: September 6, 2022 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Who: Grades 6-8 students only
Where: Middle School Quad & Blacktop
Parents drop their children off. Please note there is no school on this day. More information to come.
Welcome Back Parents Social
When: September 7, 2022 from 8:10 to 8:40 a.m.; New Families stay for orientation from 8:40 - 9:30 a.m.
Who: All returning and new parents
Where: Ravel Courtyard (& Fisher Event Center Auditorium for New Family Orientation)
A time to catch up with old friends and meet new ones on the first morning of school.
Visit the Jostens website to learn about the unique personalization options for your child. Each student enrolled at ACDS will receive a yearbook packed with student and family events from the year. This year you can be creative and add additional personalization to your child’s book to make their yearbook a unique copy just for them to treasure.
Graduation Yearbook Keepsake
Your child's 8th grade yearbook is a great way to remember and share in your child's last year of school. Creating a yearbook ad to honor your child is not only easy—it helps mark their place in a one-of-a-kind, permanent keepsake for the entire school. Ads may be created online or using the yearbook ad form. Create your ad by October 31 for special early bird pricing.
Yearbook Business Listing
Let other ACDS families know about your business with a yearbook ad. Early bird pricing ends October 31. To order your business ad, please contact yearbook advisor, Ms. Jillian Hanley or the yearbook staff at email@example.com.
ACDS Business Listings
If you are interested in sharing your business with the ACDS community, please participate in our ACDS Business Listings.